Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The First Time (2nd part)

Last Sunday,When I wanted to spent my whole day with typing for my blog and walking around Bukittinggi, I got a call from my colleague from Obstetric and Gynecology Department. It was a consultation on operation table to my department. I was going back to the hospital and seeing what happened to the patient. At the end we decided to send this patient to Padang since there are Digestive Surgeons there.
Again, I got this cliche question.
It was the consultant of Obstetric Department gave me the question.
And my answer was..I am the Resident of Surgery Department.
And He said..Hey this is the first time. I thought it was forbidden for woman to be the resident of Surgery. Like it used to be happened in our department.
My consultant answered this question ..Yes, Jini is the first one in Andalas University. But actually in Indonesia there are several of woman surgeons.
And the Consultant of Obstetric Dept. said..It was forbidden in 70s and 80s for woman taking 4 majors of Medical, Surgery, Obstetric and Gynecology, Pediatrics and Internal Medicine..
When he talked about this one, I just remembered to the story of Dr. Chaula Sukasah, Sp.BP. She is a Plastic Surgeon and the first woman in Indonesia who took Surgery. The pioneer.
Her father was the chairman of IKABI (Association of Indonesian Surgeon). Firstly when she said she wanted to be a surgeon, his father was not permitted her. There was this regulation, Surgery was prohibited for women. But then, his father colleagues persuaded his father and then Dr. Chaula became he first woman resident of Surgery.
And when I was came back, again this question was given to me.
They again asked how many people of woman resident in Padang. I said two. Me and my junior, TL, MD.
And they said why there are less of woman take Surgery?
And my answer was, because Surgery is the hardest one. Even man will think twice before taking it.
Don't you feel scared when you want to start an operation?
I answered with this sentences, I disagree if it is said woman is weak. We, women get menstruation every month. We see blood every month. Why we should be scared of seeing blood? If there are women who feel scared seeing blood, I think there are something wrong to her education. She was taught to be a coward. Why we have to be taught to be a coward? And why men have to be the brave ones?
And the women who offered me those questions were agreed with my statement.
You know, in my opinion, if you talk about power, of course man will be the winner. But if you talk about others than power, woman is the same with man. Both are human. God's creation.

No comments: